Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes white circles and white lines under my tongue?

Dentist
Question
i have a white line with white circles under my tonque. I am a black male I was informed by my Dentist today Thank You
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It can be Lichen planus,oral thrush or leukoplakia Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in. It would have been better if you could have attached the image. Let me at the outset tell you that there are various lesions associated with your symptoms. It can be:- 1. Oral Lichen Planus- chronic inflammatory condition caused by an autoimmune response & characterized by a white lace-like pattern.Biopsy is recommended in this case. 2. Oral thrush-caused by an overgrowth of yeast in the mouth.Lozenges, tablets, or liquid antifungals are used for treatment. 3. Leukoplakia - characterized by white patches that cannot be scraped off and may be related to longer-term irritation in the mouth although the cause is not always known. I would advice you to go for biopsy & rule out the exact cause & then get it treated accordingly. Hope I answered your query, Wishing you good health Regards Dr. Neha Sumra