What causes weird feelings and brain zaps while taking ativan?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Hi Dr. Parakh, I hope u are well. You may be sleeping at this time. I could not handle the Ativan any longer and did not want to up the dose so decided to try the Klonopin again. It's been three days and I feel better but am having weird feelings, brain zaps and weird head feelings. Is this because Ativan is leaving and Klonopin takes a couple days to build? As to the other medical questions, I'm going to the Mayo Clinic in a week. My husband is sick of conflicting opinions on my health. Luckily Mayo is close now that we have moved. Talk to you soon.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Explained below. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome back! I am glad you are feeling better with Klonopin again. Though benzodiazepines do not need long to show their effects, a few days are needed to build up steady state serum levels. Please also keep in mind that around 0.5 mg Klonopin is equivalent to around 1 mg Ativan. So take care that you are on an adequate dose and not less. If you still feel weird even after a few days, try either reducing or hiking the dose by a very small amount and see if that makes you feel better. This will help you find out the exact dose that you need. I am sure you will find some answers at Mayo Clinic. Do let me know what happens. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry