What causes vomiting with blood during pregnancy?

May 2013
Dear Doctor, Im 8 weeks pregnant now and I often vomit blood. Not a little but chucks of blood continuously. When this was reported to the hospitl i was given infusion 2500 ml per day for 4 days. I managed for a week but again the blood throw up has begun. Can some help me what the real problem is. I do take smll meals for every 3 hrs, I in take little water and more fruits and juice as water makes me feel nausea. But when I start to throw up blood, nothing is digested and nothing stys in including water. I throw up everything along with fresh blood and sometimes a dark colored blood (exactly looking like milk cream)
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cause should be treated Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Some amount of nausea and vomiting are common in pregnancy. Forceful vomiting can cause oesophageal mucosal damage and that can lead to presence of streaks of blood in vomiting. But presence of more amount of blood in vomiting is somewhat abnormal. The possible causes are: -Gastrointestinal ulcers -Esophagitis, gastritis -Esophageal varices -Blood coagulative disorders etc. So, better to undergo detailed evaluation. With your doctor's advice undergo investigations like: -Complete blood picture, coagulation profile -Liver function tests -Esophagogastroscopy etc. Possibly with this workup the cause for your problem can be identified and treated. Meanwhile you can continue taking antaacids and antiemetics. Try to increase the quantity of water intake gradually to prevent dehydration. If you become dehydrated due to vomitinigs you may need intravenous transfusion of fluids again. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer follow up queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.