What causes vomiting and stomach pain following intake of smoked chicken and oysters?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi Yesterday I had for lunch smoked chicken and 12 raw oysters During the night it was awakened by strong pain in the left back of my body and somack I had to go to the toilet to use the stool (it was solid) I also vomited one mouthful of very bitter liquid I was also sweated over the whole body The pain stopped after two hours Today I am ok just a little tired XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: ? Acute Gastroenteritis (Food Poisoning) Detailed Answer: Hello, after going through your history, as you had vomiting and stomach pain following intake of smoked chicken and oysters and also you are not allergic to sea food, most probably you had an episode of Acute Gastroenteritis (Food Poisoning). In your history you have also mentioned that you have pain in the left back, if you are a alcoholic it may be a acute pancreatitis, which should be ruled out by lab investigations like serum amylase and lipase levels. Considering your age, current comorbid condition like increased blood pressure and the history of sweating all over the body, you should be evaluated for ischaemic conditions of the heart. I would suggest you to do ECG for cardiac evaluation. Thank you.
Follow-up: What causes vomiting and stomach pain following intake of smoked chicken and oysters? 1 hour later
Thank you Not a good summary I have been checked for all what you mentioned I only vomited just a few drops bitter liquid And I am not alcoholic
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Acute Gastritis Detailed Answer: Hello, It is my pleasure to know that all your lab investigations are normal. A single bout of vomiting with few drops of bitter liquid would have been due to gastric irritation caused by the food you consumed last night. Even though there are other conditions which may lead to bitter drops vomit, like acute cholecystitis (Infection of the gall bladder) or infection of colon. As there is no other signs of infection it is nothing but a acute gastritis. As the pain has comedown nothing to worry.Avoid spicy food and stress. If you any other query feel free to post the query. Thank you.