What causes vibrant hand shakes without control?

Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Follow-up: What causes vibrant hand shakes without control? 8 minutes later
my mom is shaking her hands vibrantly without her control.Please let me know what needs to be done.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 14 minutes later
Hello Pandu,

It is very difficult to know what exactly is causing the problem with your mother without a physical examination.

Vibrating hands, without any involvement of any other part of the body, or any other neurological defecit (Like loss of consciousness, altered sensorium, nausea, vomiting, weakness of any limbs, difficulty walking, visual or hearing deficits, headache, sensory defects,etc) could be due to benign reasons - including a essential tremor.

Presence of any of the symptoms mentioned above - could indicate neurological problem and might need investigations like a CT or a MRI for a definitive diagnosis.

You might consult a neurologist for proper diagnosis and treatment of your mothers condition.

In the mean time, make sure that your mother is being monitored and taken care off at any point of time. try to massage her hands and apply some heat packs to the hands to reduce the presence of possible pain in them.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for any follow up questions that you may be having.