What causes vertigo?

Hi my name is XXXXXXX I have had vertigo symptoms for over a month now but mainly tilting feeling and my head felt weird when I turned it. It's finally feeling better and going away but after driving at night or a long say my eyes still bother me. They seem to move back and forth just barely. is this still normal Even though I'm feeling better? thanks
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nystagmus Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. Seems by your description that the vertigo is subsiding; there are many causes of vertigo such as labiryththitis, vestibular neuritis, benign paroxysmal vertigo... all these tend to get better with time. Nystagmus, an abnormal movement of the eyes, can be seen in patients with vertigo and is expected to gradualy resolve as the vertigo does. Hope that helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN