What causes vertigo with nausea and vomiting?

A 30 year old woman has an acute onset of vertigo, nausea & vomiting over several hours. She also complains of struggling to focus properly on things and she feels terrible. She and her 2 children had been mildly ill with headaches and generally off colour for a few days 10 days ago but they have recovered from that. What are some differential diagnoses for this scenarion? Thanks XXXX
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: mentioned below. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. These symptoms can be caused by gastroenteritis, stomach flu, food poisoning, peptic ulcer disease, GERD, poisoning etc. Foods that are hard to digest (such as too many sweets) and undercooked (still partially raw) meat or fish can also cause vomiting and nausea. This acute episode is not likely to be related to the headache she had earlier. If the symptoms are not relieved , medical treatment is needed after proper examination. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What causes vertigo with nausea and vomiting? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your help, I have another question, Would you consider that this lady may have something like middle ear infection, be pregnant or stressed? Thank you XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be possible causes. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The middle ear infection; pregnancy or stress can also cause these symptoms but an acute onset and headache are less likely to be associated with it. In case her periods are overdue pregnancy needs to be ruled out. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards