What causes variable body temperature with a feeling of weakness?

I sometimes feel sick, as if I have a fever - very achy and weak. In fact, I do think I have a fever. However, when I take my temperature it is below normal - anywhere from 98.2 to 97.5. I would not worry about this as much because I do know that a body temperature can flucuate, however, when my temperature is so below normal I feel very sick. Today, I could have sworn that I was really sick with a fever and when I took my temperature it was 97.6. My body ached and I was chilled and just wanted to rest or go to sleep.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Causes detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Some of the commonest causes for a variable body temperature with a feeling of weakness in a person aged as you are- Hypothyroidism caused by iodine deficiency Diabetes Endocrine dysfunction/hormone imbalance Side effects of medications such as sedatives, tranquilizers, heart medication Excessive calorie reduction Living with excessive fear/stress/tension Artificial sweeters, chemical additives in food Sleep disorders, lack of sleep, disruption of circadian rhythms Viral infection can also lead to chills and fatigue. The following things should make you feel better: a. Take tablet paracetamol 400 mg as and when required ( upto 4 times daily). This needs to be taken with food. This will relieve the achy feeling and fatigue. b. Take a hot water shower and drink plenty of warm fluids. c. Eat small, home cooked meals at regular intervals. Also, drink atleast 2-3 litres of lukewarm water in a day. This should help take care of the shakiness. In case the symptoms persist then do consult your physician for detailed investigations. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL