What causes vaginal bleeding when on tamoxifen?

Dec 2012

I am taking tamoxifen. Every once in a while I get vaginal bleeding or spotting. I have not had .y period for most 4 years. I am 54
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Could be side effect of tamoxifen Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX One of the most common side effect of tamoxifen in women who are on tamoxifen is abnormal vaginal bleeding especially at period of menopause. Normally at this age, you should start experiencing little or no vaginal bleeding until it ceases completely. So your bleeding could be due to menopause itself or as a result of tamoxifen side effect. In any case, I do not think it is something you should worry about as I believe it is a less serious condition. Just continue taking the medication for the indicated period according to your doctor's prescription. Vaginal bleeding or spotting will stop on its own when time is right. How ever, if you experience heavy or very recurrent bleeding, do how ever contact your doctor as soon as you can. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah