What causes vaginal bleeding post menopause?

Hi, I am a 66/67 year old woman, and have not had my period for 12 years. All of a sudden a got it - it was on the light side and I just went through a colonoscopy (rectal bleeding). That was corrected but about two weeks later I started with vaginal bleeding. I am so worried it might be cancer and I would need major surgery.
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, relax it could still not be cancer! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for trusting us with your health queries. I am so sorry to hear about this vaginal bleeding you experienced. It is true that vaginal bleeding in a post menopausal woman always raises a high suspicion for cancers. However, not all bleedings are caused by cancer. Other causes include polyps, infections, endometrial hyperplasia, vaginal dryness, etc. At times, no exact cause is identified. We need to know our problems in order to be able to solve them. I am happy that at least this bleeding called our attention to take a closer look at what the problem could be. It could be cancer, just like it could be something else not related to cancer. In any case, this would have given us the opportunity to address the problem. Try to think of those who silently go on with conditions like this and never get the opportunity to even realize something is going wrong inside. They are often diagnosed with complications that make it very difficult to even help them. Remind yourself of how lucky you are compared to these other individuals and you would have reasons to stay somewhat positive. Medicine has improved so much over the years. Procedures that were very difficult have become pretty routine. We have work so hard to minimize risk and improve outcome of most surgical procedures. But before we get there, let's wait for the final diagnosis to be reached at. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of possible diagnosis associated with this vaginal bleeding. Dr. Ditah, MD.