What causes vaginal bleeding after hysterectomy?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
I HAD A HYSTERECTOMY 10 YEARS AGO BEEN HAVING LOWER LEFT SIDED PAIN . HAD A CT HAVE DIVERTIULOSIS. I HAVE BEEN REAL NAUSEATED AND SOME BREAST PAIN FOR ABOUT N6 MONTHS. TODAY I HAD VAGINAL DISCHARGE WHICH WAS BLOODY I HAVE BEEN FEELING VERY BAD FOR MONTHS NOW. I HAVE HAD TESTED BUT THEY HAVE NOT FOUND ANYTHING. THEY HAVE ME SHEDULED FOR A COLONOSOPY AND INDESCOPE MARH 15. BUT IN THE MEAN TIME I FEEL BAD. WHAT DOES THIS BROWN BLOOD MEAN THAT IS COMING FROM MY VAGINA.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: causes are mentioned below Detailed Answer: Hello! Thanks for your query. The main causes of vaginal bleeding after hysterectomy are: atrophic vaginitis due to lack of estrogen yeast infection polyps in vagina trauma of the vagina granulation tissue wound dehicsence vaginal cancer You should do a further evaluation from your gyn to determine the cause of vaginal bleeding. Take care of your self

Follow-up: What causes vaginal bleeding after hysterectomy? 1 hour later
there is pain around the area of my left ovary. I do still have both my ovaries. I have been very sick to my stomach as well wouldn't a ct scan with contrast show anything that be there as well. they did a ct with contrast on my lower left abdominal area for the pain two weeks ago. would a ct scan show any kind of cancer

Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 9 hours later
Brief Answer: CT scan details Detailed Answer: CT scan can show large tumors and do not show small tumors well. CT scan may be able to tell if the tumor is growing into nearby structures. A CT scan may also find enlarged lymph nodes, signs of cancer spread to liver or other organs. As your CT scan is normal and show only diverticulosis ,you don't need to worry so much. Take care of your self

Follow-up: What causes vaginal bleeding after hysterectomy? 20 hours later
thank you for your answers that helps me understand a little better. I guess I should have a pap smear done and make sure that everything is okay. Is there any specific things I should ask or a special test I should request. There is three aunts on my moms side that has dies from colon cancer. Do you think I should have that test c 125 to be tested for cancer . They are doing a endoscope and colonoscopy March 15. but that doesn't tell me anything about the vaginal bleeding. do you have any suggestions for that other than a pap.

Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 30 hours later
Brief Answer: You should wait to do examinations. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thanks for your query. You dont need to worry so much because you should do those examination prescribed form doctor to determine your diagnose. As your CT scan is normal and your doctor havent recommended you to do Ca 125 ,you should wait. IF you have cervix (you have done subtotal hysterectomia)you can do Pap smear,to exclude any cervical pathology that can cause vaginal bleeding. Take care of your self