What causes urinary retention problem after tethered cord surgery?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
hello doctor my daughter 6 years old female had a tethered cord surgery as on 23/12/2013, after surgery urinary retention problem, is it problem normal? how long it will to take for recovery
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes, possible Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. Tethered cord surgery is done to prevent further neurological damage. Recovery of bladder function can take even long time of many months depending on the severity of nerve damage before surgery. Surgery by itself is unlikely to cause retention of urine. But do not worry. Continue current treatment with intermittent catheterization. I sincerely hope it will recover soon. Regards Dr Arun