Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes urethal orifice swelling ?

My urethal orifice is swollen and don't know why
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 32 minutes later

In both sexually active males and females the most common cause of swelling in urethral orifice is abdominal pain.

Urinary tract infection usually presents with Burning sensation while urinating, increase in frequency of Urination and pain abdomen with mild to moderate degree of fever.

As you have not elaborated completely on your symptoms present, it would be difficult for me to come to a conclusion.
I would like know a few more things that will help me to suggest you better:
1.May I know your age/gender?
2.Is your urinating stream normal?
3.Is there any discolouration of the skin or any growth present?
So please reply me back with the answers to the above questions and also elaborate your symptoms if any, duration and any other medical problems you are suffering with.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1.Stiz Bath with your lower body from hips submerged in bearable warm water along with any antiseptic solutions or Iodine solution.
2.Drink plenty of fluids like water or fruit juices.
3.If you are unable to pass urine then it would be better to visit an ER.

Awaiting your reply to answer you better.
Follow-up: What causes urethal orifice swelling ? 2 hours later
Hello Dr. Pandya,

I am a 47 years old female. I have had the problem since Wednesday the 05-18-11. I have ridden my horse with a different saddle on Tuesday and Wednesday I have had this swelling. No burning or pain associated with it, just the very uncomfortable swelling. Thank you, Sabine
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You seem to have the swelling around urethral orifice because of friction of the different saddle.
I believe that Sitz Bath with your lower body from hips submerged in bearable warm water along with any antiseptic solutions or Povidone Iodine solution would be enough.

If you want faster recovery, you may take some NSAIDs (Pain Killers).

Wish you speedy recovery.