What causes upper right abdominal pain?

General Surgeon
I have a question. I begin having pain yesterday around 10 while riding in our vehicle. The pain is in my right side. It almost feels like a stitch. The odd thing is I feel like the pain moves. Up and down and from side to side. It doesn't feel like a deep pain but more of a surface pain. I feel like a crazy person when trying to explain it because it's so odd. It's not a severe pain and it is not constant. It doesn't hurt at all when lying down. I am a 32 year old mother of 4. No health issues, the only meds I take are birth control pills when I can remember to take them. I have a severe anxiety/panic disorder so this pain doesn't help out much. I feel like the more I worry about it the worse it gets. Any ideas as to what this could be.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Such strange and migrating pain can be caused by anxiety indeed. Especially if it appears on the surface and is not related to food intake. Upper right abdominal pain can be also caused by gallstones or pancreas issues. It is quite characteristic for such pain to radiate to the back (so you may feel it migrates). Nausea can be present. Symptoms usually are aggravated by fatty foods. Spine problems can also give mentioned by you symptoms especially if you have had back pain before. Unfortunately there is no simple answer for you, as your pain is very nonspecific. I suggest you to have some diagnostics. Abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests, pancreas tests and urine analysis should be done at first. If you feel it is more nerves pain, neurologist should be visited. In a meanwhile please start Magnesium 400mg supplementation. Try to avoid coffee and caffeine containing drinks (like coke). Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.