What causes unusual behavior changes when on Pristiq and Lexapro?

on pristiq for 3 years, dr added 5 then 10 mg of lexapro about a 2 month period, now havens serious depression and anger spells-i feel like maybe too much causing rebound depression, anger. is this likely?? cannot see him till next week--thank you
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Reduce the dose of Lexapro Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. The mechanism of action of both : Pristiq and Lexapro- are similar. Therefore, concomitant use of both drugs have a synergistic effect and thereby precipitate side effects, such as, unusual behavior changes including depression; or, other mental/mood changes including anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, irritability, hostile/angry feelings (anger spells) and severe restlessness. Since none of these drugs should ever be stopped abruptly, you may REDUCE the dose of Lexapro back to 5mg IMMEDIATELY and continue with 5mg till you see your Psychiatrist next week. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, SHOULD YOU STOP LEXAPRO ABRUPTLY, without consultation with the Psychiatrist. Apprise your Psychiatrist of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me and modify the treatment accordingly. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal