What causes unexplained thirst and appetite loss?

Hi, From past 60 days I am feeling thirsty most of the time and there is a decrease in appetite. Recently I got my blood test done, and found high BILIRUBIN levels and uric acid. I want to know what should be the next thing to do, do I need to get any further tests? or treatment? I don't drink alcohol. and a non smoker. Are my other tests are normal? I am attaching blood reports. Thanks, XXXX
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rest of the report is fine. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. Your test reports have shown mildly elevated level of bilirubin and Uric acid. Cause of elevated Bilirubin is suggestive that it prehepatic(Outside liver with destruction of blood cells, most common is genetic cause) but your other findings are normal. Sodium level is boderline low. You don't require further test, these are sufficient. Based on result you don't require any treatment. Since you are experiencing loss of appetite and feeling thirsty most of the time, only symptomatic treatment is sufficient. I advise you to take syrup Elixir Neogadine for increasing the appetite. Drink plenty of water with little salt in it, so that there will be retention of water. In a week time you will out of symptoms. For elevated uric acid level, restrict high protein diet only. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: What causes unexplained thirst and appetite loss? 2 days later
Thanks for your reply, I get my test done annually, previous year the test were normal.(so i am not sure its genetic) This is the first time the test were abnormal. about the thirst, i drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Symptomatic treatment only Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow-up. Your reports, as i mentioned earlier, suggests increased bilirubin level only. It most commonly occur in genetic disease called Gilbert's Syndrome(GS). As your previous year's report were fine then GS may not the cause. GS is diagnosed by PCR test. But there is no need to do that. No treatment is needed in GS or in your case. Avoid eating Fatty and junk food, if any. You can follow the advise as mentioned and can consult internal medicine specialist for clinical examination. 8 to 10 glasses of water daily is good for maintaining hydration. Increased thirst may have other reasons like Xerostomia or Anxiety. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.