What causes unexplained bruising and blue veins in hands?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I have unexplained bruising. I've always bruised easily, but this is just appearing with no fall. Also my veins in my hands are very blue.
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Unexplained bruising causes&recommendations... Detailed Answer: Hi, The bruising you are facing is most likely to be related to many health problems: - aging : with passing of time, the blood vessels of the skin become more fragile; while skin become more thinner, leading to bruising - many medications cause bruising : aspirin, warfarin, etc. (are you currently using such drugs?) - supplements containing fish oil or/and gingko - local cortisonics used for allergy or other skin problem - exposing to the sun for long time If you are taking one of the medications mentioned above, I'd suggest to talk to your physician about the possibility of stop taking them and find another alternative. Meanwhile, I'd also advise to - if bruising become more severe and you notice unusual skin problems, please contact the physician immediately. Physical examination and certain lab tests should be performed. - you can prevent bruising by trying to put every household at its place to avoid sudden fall or/and bump. - can wear long sleeve shirts or/and pants to protect skin from the bumping - avoid your skin to be exposed to the sun for long time Hope it answered to your inquiry! If you have further questions, feel free to contact me again; I'd be glad to assist you further. Dr.Bardha
Follow-up: What causes unexplained bruising and blue veins in hands? 33 minutes later
Thank you so much. I just started taking fish oil about a month ago. I'll stop that immediately.
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Fish oil could have caused increased bruising... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Indeed, fish oil could have contributed to increased bruising. You can see the improvement within the first month from the moment you stop this supplement. Glad to hear that my answer helped you! If you do not have any other clarification, please close this thread and rate my answer. If you still have question, I'd be happy to answer them back! Dr.Bardha