What causes unconsciousness while coughing?

My father in law is 65. He is getting unconscious while coughing. This episode happens 5-8 times a day. We consulted a general physician. He recommended medicines for 10 days including steroids. Its been two days since he started medicines. No improvement yet. his health is deteriorating. He does not smoke. drink. he is a vegetarian. Kindly advise why is this happening. Do we need to consult a physician or a neuro or a heart specialist.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Neurologist or an internist.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Based on your description, your father in law most probably has what is known is cough syncope. Here the bouts of cough causes vagal nerve stimulation which inturn lowers his blood pressure. The sudden fall in blood pressure is what makes him unconscious. Steroid is prescribed to prevent the sudden blood pressure fall. In addition I would like to treat the cough - which is the precursor here. Any of the aforementioned specialist will know about this condition and can treat him better. I opted for a neurologist or internist (MD physician) inview of other symptoms - tremors (essential tremors) and recurring cough. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: What causes unconsciousness while coughing? 9 minutes later
Thank You doctor for your prompt revert. Can I leave this discussion open as we want to wait till 5-6 hours more and if still there is no improvement them would want your advise abt what to do next.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sure... Detailed Answer: You are welcome to ask me questions whenever needed. Regards