What causes uncomfortable ache on the lower right side of my abdomen inspite of my history for urethral stricture and dilatation?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
I have been suffering from an uncomfortable ache on the lower right side of my abdomen just above pubic bone for the last three months which is aggravated by walking or driving and is gradual getting more uncomfortable. This started as a mild discomfort felt on both lower sides of abdomen only when urinating no stinging or burning and urinalysis negative. I wondered if it was my colon as it has been a bit hyperactive since the pain started and I often have a lot of wind and stools are a bit loose at times but no blood or mucus. My Doctor keeps telling me its a hernia that's developing despite a negative ultrasound and will only offer pain medication. Any advice please? blood results where normal
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, may be a hernia. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Your past history of urethral stricture and dilatation and a classical description of the symptoms make me feel the diagnosis of your Doctor of developing hernia as the most probable. Ultrasound will be negative in the initial period. and the coughing impulse is quite diagnostic of the hernia although it takes time for the bulge to appear. The colonic pain is never felt or referred to the site you describe. A simple test you can conduct yourself:: Put the hands on the site of pain in a standing position. Try to cough violently, if you feel a bulge, or a pain , or discomfort this is quite diagnostic . Many times it can just be a bulge and hernia can not be felt until it is large enough to come out of the inguinal ''canal'' . This may stretch the nerves around the hernia to cause the pain. As I said ultrasonography will not be effective to detect the hernia in the initial stages and should be done in a real time with the cough impulse . Anyways, continue the pain killer only when required. Blood results are normal , you say. Now this is a stage of wait and watch. Avoid all the exercises and activities which may cause the intra-abdominal pressure to rise. Avoid constipation. How is the progress for the urethral stricture ? Is it OK and causing no symptoms ? Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: What causes uncomfortable ache on the lower right side of my abdomen inspite of my history for urethral stricture and dilatation? 17 hours later
Hi, The urethral stricture has never been 100% following several urethral dilations. Was told the stricture was due to some scar tissue just below the urethral meatus following an undiagnosed UTI. This causes me urethral pain and reduced flow at times probably due to local inflammation . Usually settles with antibiotics or high fluid intake. It has not caused abdominal discomfort before but wandered if I had got a bladder infection ? Thankyou
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It can an indirect reason for hernia Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, the urethral strictures are very difficult to get 100 % results , whichever treatment is advocated. and in a long run can be an indirect reason for development of hernia, back-pressure problems to the bladder and kidneys, infection on stagnation.. regards,