What causes unbalanced, shuffling feet, weak voice, extreme depression and anxiety, bladder control, bowel control problems?

Nov 2013

I was diagnosed with CRPS as a result of being pushed over by my step grandson and landing on my right side hand and shoulder a over l 1/2 years ago, then suffered three broken ribs as a result of being pushed over a second time by him falling flat on my back. Have tremors in right hand and have been on numerous pain meds as well as three spinal injections but no relief. I have had three sessions of physical therapy which has improved the use of hand and shoulder, but I still have very limited use of right hand and wrist. My pain is under right breast, around side and to the middle of my back. It feels as though my bones are being crushed and is a burning pain. I can get complete relief by lying down. I have had bone scans, MRI's of brain. spine and shoulder, and others. For the past 7-8 months, I have been very unbalanced, shuffling feet, can't seem to speak correctly, weak voice, extreme depression and anxiety, bladder control and bowel control problems. By the end of the day I cannot hardly move because of the pain. I had one of the neurologist prescribe Stalevo and a different one prescribed Carbidopa-Levodopa saying I have Parkinson's. I don't agree...I think it's a result of the CRPS...CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME!
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: You have combination of CRPS and PD. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your symptoms in details. You have a combination of both CRPS as well as Parkinson's disease (PD). Symptoms such as unbalanced and shuffling gait, difficulty in speaking, weak or hypo-phonic voice, tremors of hands, etc can not be explained on the basis of CRPS, and we have to consider a brain disease. As your MRI brain is normal, the most likely diagnosis would be PD. Similarly, pain can occur in PD too, but most often it is mild or a kind of ache or cramps. In your case, the severity of pain is more than what can be explained on the basis of PD, so, in addition to PD, we have to consider co-existing CRPS. So, for good relief of your symptoms, you would require treatments for both CRPS and PD. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: What causes unbalanced, shuffling feet, weak voice, extreme depression and anxiety, bladder control, bowel control problems? 11 hours later
What other treatments are available to me for the extreme pain associated with the CRPS? Since I had never had any signs of PD before the falls, was it brought on by the falls? After the first fall, my right side is so stiff I don't lift me leg and drag my foot. I have therefore had at least four other falls, falling on the front side of my face. Would a fall like this bring on PD? I am in so much pain I have no quality of life.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Falls are probably coincidental. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. Falls do not bring about PD. It is just by chance that PD symptoms started after the first fall. PD does, however, lead to increased risk of falling forwards, and that explains your subsequent falls. For relief of pain due to CRPS, the commonly recommended medications include gabapentin, pregabalin and duloxetine. You can try one of them, if not used earlier. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)