What causes ulcers around the stoma after an ileostomy?

General Surgeon
I have had an ileostomy for 38 years and recently I have ulcers appearing around my stoma and now there is one on my stoma. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: No cause for concern if stoma is functioning well Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX If there is peri stoma ulcer and the stoma is functioning then there is no cause for concern. Local application of barrier cream will definitely help in healing of the ulcer. It would be very beneficial if you could provide clinical photograph for further assessment and deta advice. Will be glad to assist you further. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon