What causes twinges of pain in upper left back and shoulder blade?

I keep having off and on twinges of pain in my upper left back kind of under my shoulder blade. Want to make sure not heart related.b
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Better to undergo tests... Detailed Answer: Hi, The most severe heart aches present with debilitating pain that drains life out. On and off twinges of pain may or may not be of heart origin. However given the location of aches and your past history of hypertension and angina, it is important that we make sure your heart is fine. I would order for an EKG, a stress test and echocardiogram to rule out sinister heart concerns. If needed, angiogram may be added to the list. I believe pain anywhere from the chest that arises after physical efforts such as climbing flights of stairs leading to sweating and breathing difficulty is from the heart unless proved otherwise. I hope tests give sufficient information to clear those doubts. Your local doctor can guide to through the test. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards