What causes trouble in breathing with mild exersion after Toprol intake?

I'm a life long asthmatic and use spiriva, advair, and nebulizer albuterol daily supplemented by proair as needed. Recently, I was diagnosed with a fib and started taking toprol (50 mg morn and eve). I am also an alcoholic. There are times, since starting the toprol that I have trouble breathing even with mild exersion. I've looked at all of the medications and looked for potential side effects and inner actions and found many referrencess to toprol. I'm wondering if my problems are inner actions between drugs or toprol as the problem and/or if combinations are causing the afib. I have a general practice, cardiologist, and pulmonary doctor. Can you suggest an approach to improve my quality of life.
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Toprol is never prescribed to asthmatic patients Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Toprol belongs to a group of drugs called Beta-Blockers, which aggravate asthma and are absolutely contra-indicated in asthmatic cases. Hence, Toprol, though an effective drug for a-fib, is NEVER prescribed to asthmatic patients. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me and withdraw Toprol, replacing it with an equally effective substitute. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal