What causes trichomonas vaginalis?

Hello Dr XXXXXXX Grief! My test result shows that I have trichomonas vaginalis. I only had sex w/my husband the last 15 years. My Dr said that is no other way to get it instead having sex w/someone that has it. I'm in shock as I can't imagine that my husband in cheating on me. He swears that he did not had sex with anyone else. Please tell me that is another possibility- this results are going to end our relationship .The facts: I had several tests done prior of this one and all the results were negative. April/Aug and Nov 2013- all negative. I have several symptoms since I had my last child 4 years ago- there are burning, itching and discharge and my Drs already checked every single option and they couldn't find anything wrong. This positive results for trichomonas vaginalis is new, got results this week Feb 2014 but the Drs say that is not related to my previous complains- they say that I got trichomonas after my last test results in November. I'm waiting for the second test results to re-confirm but even using cream for yeast infection, everything is still the same including a yellow discharge- like mucus.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Wait for the second test Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using XXXXXXX I will do my best to help Since you had several negative tests before, until November, and now you tested positive, I agree that you clearly got exposed to trichomonas after November 2013. There is no way to get trichomonas other than through sexual contact. Since you are sure that you didn't have sex with anyone other than your husband, he must have gotten it from somewhere else. I wish there was an easy way out of this problem for you, but the facts are exactly the way your doctor described it to you. If the second test confirms it, you will be even more sure of what happened. You should explain this clearly to your husband, and tell him that if he is honest with you, there may be a chance to repair the relationship. But if he won't be honest with you, you may need to see a marriage counselor with him and have him/her help you and your husband work through this. Honesty is the basis of any relationship, and he needs to be honest with you. I am so so sorry for you, and I hope that you guys can work this out together, and I pray that this doesn't deteriorate into a blame game game ad ruin a marriage. That would be a terrible waste. I wish I had a better answer, but I honestly don't know any other explanation. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Follow-up: What causes trichomonas vaginalis? 45 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX Weinreb! It's clear even though I was hoping to find another explanation for it. I do have another question as I want to clear all the possibilities in my mind before I get the second results. Three days after I had sex with my husband, I had my period and I had my first session of a bikini laser hair removal where they use a gel and the machine for the procedure. I was reading that is possible to get it through sharing sex toys if you don’t wash them. After the hair removal they just cleaned the bikini area a little bit and I did not take a shower until the next day. Is it possible to get the trichomonas with the laser hair removal treatments? Can the gel/machine be contaminated? Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: No problem, it is my privilege to help! Detailed Answer: There is no way the trichomonas could have gotten into your vagina from the laser hair equipment. It should have been cleaned and sterilized, but XXXXXXX if it wasn't, the trichimonas would not have survived very long on the equipment, and would have somehow had to have gotten into your vagina where it could live. Trichimonas really doesn't get transmitted that way. I wish I had a better answer, but unfortunately that is how trichimonas works. Take care and good luck! let me know if you need anything else.