Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes to have green color on the teeth?

Question
i have a problem a green color in the up of up teeth and a in the bottom of the down teeth
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be intrinsic stain. Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. Upon viewing the reports that you have attached it appears that it could be an intrinsic stain(stain present within teeth and not on its surface). Please provide me few more details to suggest you better in this regard. 1.Have you ever visited your dentist regarding this ,or did you get any cleaning(scaling) of teeth done? 2.Since when do you have this discoloration on teeth? 3.Chromogenic bacterias also causes such staining of teeth .Are you taking any medication for any other cause than dental,please mention? Awaiting your response. Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes to have green color on the teeth? 3 days later
i didnt go for dentist i will go for dentist. i didnt do cleaning. i took pills for the last teeth pain and i removed it in summer.the upper is new i just noticed from 1 month or more. the down teeth is from years

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Scaling avised Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. It appears that you have mild gingivitis with accumulation of plaque and calculus(hard deposits) on your teeth. Mere scaling(professional cleaning)should help and you will be problem free. Please visit your dentist and get cleaning done. Meanwhile use antiseptic mouth wash and maintain very good oral hygiene. Please let me know for further query. Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes to have green color on the teeth? 2 days later
i visited a dentist today he did for me a cleaning and the green color has gone. but the problem is the dr told me he isnt sure if its calculus or even stain because the color is green not brown and it should be brown. and he advised me if it will apear again in future i would visit him again. what do u think about it should be brown not green?

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Chromogenic stains occours due to bacterias Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. Green co lour is due to presence of chromogenic bacterias.It has also been found that the co lour of deposition varies depending upon the food you take. Brown co lour appears due to hard deposits which requires tough cleaning by ultrasonic scalars. There fore do not worry ,its deposit that has been accumulated and it requires cleaning,which you have got it done.Every six months, it is advised for every individual to get scaling(cleaning)done.This increases longevity of teeth. Hope it helps. Please let me know for further query. Thanks. Take care.