What causes to have cramps around calf, ankle and thighs with neck and hands?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
The cramps center around my calfs, ankle and thighs but also occur in my neck and hands. It' s been going on for over a week and they're severe. email: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Following measure will help- Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Cramps are painful spasms in a muscle and are often caused by overuse, dehydration, or nutritional deficiencies. Following measure will help- *Drink fluid-An electrolyte imbalance can be the cause of muscle spasms, so rehydrating with an electrolyte drink can help restore balance. *Stretch the affected muscle with a mild, static stretch. *Use ice to numb the pain in a cramp, reducing inflammation and allowing the muscle to relax. *Bring the affected muscle into a relaxed position and apply direct compression to the cramp. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care