What causes to have continuous motion in child who is exclusively breastfed and on course of sporidex?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My Daughter is 5 months old and is exclusively breastfed. She has had a bout of diarrhea 2.5 weeks back. She was passing 6-7 stools every day. We gave her econorm XXXXXXX and Z&D drops. However, when even after 1 week there was no change, doctor suggested to get Stool routine and culture done. Report is as below: 1. Stool Routine - Pus Cell : 2-3, mucous present, RBC 1-2. 2. Stool Culture - E-Coli heavy Growth. Based on sensitivity, doctor started on Sporidex for 5 days (3ml * 3times for 5 days). However, there was no change in her stool even after antibiotic course got over. It is still slimy, sometimes green and does smell a lot (sometimes). Doctor then suggested, that she could be lactose intolerant and I should start some solids with her. So, I started Nestum (Rice) mixed with water 2 days back. She was fine, the number of stools did come down to 3-4, but it was still very mucousy. Today, i gave her a little bit of banana, and she again pooped 4 times (till noon), and is passing some water mixed mucousy stool. I am clueless as to what is going on. Should I not give her banana. Should I again start econorm and Z&D. I am unsure of how to handle situation, and how much time it will take for her to get back to normal. Few things: 1. She is teething and has her hands constantly in mouth 2. She is exclusively breastfed except of one external meal (Nestum or banana). 3. She has been given a course of sporidex for 5 days (but no relief) 4. She is 5 months 12 days. Her weight is 6.8 Kgs. Thanks Mother
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Continue econorm and z and d Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX From your query it seems your daughter has had diarrhoea with probable secondary lactose intolerance. E coli in the stool with very few pus cells actually does not indicate active infection. Ecoli is normally present in huge quantities in all human stools. Its the specific strain of EColi and its toxin which separates infective one from normal harmless one. I would advice you to get her stools tested for reducing substances which if turns out as positive will indicate that she is lactose intolerant. But do not worry , its usually a temporary problem will settle in a week or two I would usually advice such parents to continue breastfeeding and give only lactose free formula like isomil instead of nestum, etc. Bananas again will increase stool volume by osmotic action, better avoid You can give oral electrolyte solution and continue econorm for 3 more days. Complete Z & D for total 10 days. Wishing your kid speedy recovery. Regards DR Arun