What causes tingling, shaking, blurred vision and muscle twitches?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello. For two weeks, my left leg has felt tingly and "internally" shaky, some muscle twitches too. My vision is a wreck too, but nothing I can pinpoint. One minute it seems like my left eye is blurry; an hour later, it's my right. When I wear my reading glasses my eyes are fine; it's when I look up and look across a room that my vision feels "off." This has been for about 4 days now. 15 years ago, and on and off since then, I have worried about MS because I have had this before, but definitely NOT to the extreme as it is now vision-wise. I am about to turn 44 and have had health anxiety for awhile, but this time, my symptoms don't seem to be anxiety related. Can you advise, please? Thanks.
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Due to neurological cause. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The symptoms that you are having are likely to be related to a neurological cause. This can be due to lack of blood supply as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause tingling and twitches with blurred vision. Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Also get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve. If the symptoms persist even after 5 days or worsen consider visiting a Neurologist for evaluation as a physical examination would be beneficial. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What causes tingling, shaking, blurred vision and muscle twitches? 23 hours later
Thank you for your response. You offer a lot of possibilities (some quite concerning) for me to consider. When you suggest to take vitamin B12, what is an amount that might offer some improvement? When you suggest to check my blood sugar, is this something I can do with an at-home device? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes you can use at home device. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. You can take 1500 micrograms of methylcobalamin every night for at least 2 weeks. You can use at home device for checking the blood sugar. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards