What causes tingling sensation in hands and feet while on PPI?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I have been dealing with digestive issues for 6 months and I was put on PPi's. About one week after starting the PPi I developed tingling in my hands and feet (pins and needles). I have never really had issue with circulation before except when I was pregnant. I got of the Prilosec and any circulation problems I had went away. Then about two months ago I had a bout of bad reflux and my GI put me on Dexilant. Within one week of taking it I developed pain in the right side of my head (it lasted about two weeks and then went away) and I also have the pins and needles back again. I feel like I've developed a major health anxiety from this reflux and I'm really wanting to get my old self back. I'm not really a medication person so I really want to get off the Dexilant. Do you think this could be something really serious like MS? Diabetes? Or is this indeed a side effect of the PPI's?
Posted Sat, 12 Sep 2015 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MS and Diabetes unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Episodic headaches, pins and needles in hands, are not common side effects of PPI ( proton pump inhibitors ) drugs use, however prolonged use of PPI is found to cause low vitamin B12 and Magnesium levels in blood by affecting their absorption.

Low vitamin B12 and low Magnesium blood levels can cause separately or together symptoms of peripheral neuropathy.

I don't think just an episode of headache with pins and needles in hands could herald Multiple sclerosis, or Diabetes.

First blood vitamin B12 levels, Magnesium and Calcium should be measured.

If low levels, correcting deficiencies should improve symptoms.

If normal levels, in my opinion, your symptoms are caused by stress and anxiety disorder.

Controlling anxiety and stress by discussing your concerns with a Psychologist, should improve your new symptoms and digestive issues too.

Anxiety and stress are well known factors that increase gastric acidity levels.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Best regards.