What causes tingling sensation and numbness in hands and arms?

Hi, I have a tingling sensation in only my left hand which causes both my hand and my arm up until my elbow to go numb for a certain period of time. At first it only happened at night when I go to bed, but now as we speak its tingling as well. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nerve conduction test may help... Detailed Answer: I understand your concern I have noted your complaint The possibilities could be 1. Nerve root pinching at the cervical cord level (at the level of neck) 2. Nerve compression at wrist, called as carpal tunnel syndrome Some times, people can have a combination too. I will suggest you to get examined by a local neurologist and then a Nerve conduction test (test which will determine the site of nerve block. A test done in all most all neuro-lab and can be done on office- basis without any admission. You need to check your blood sugar level and thyroid function test which are the common causes of these symptoms and these are easily treatable. If nerve conduction test come normal, I would then order for MRI scan of neck. I urge you not to ignore the current symptoms and visit your doctor as and when possible. I hope I am clear. Let me know if you need any help Best wishes