What causes tingling of nipples inspite of using depo cortisone shots?

I have been experiencing tingling nipples, mostly the right side. I have no rash, no redness, but probably wear a brat that is too tight. I also get depo cortisone shots once a month. Could these have anything to do with this? The tingling is not pailful. There are no lumps, discolorations, discharges, etc. Thank you
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: tingling in nipples Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic. I understand that you have been experiencing tingling sensation in your breasts with no rash/ lumps. It is normal for 30-50% of women to experience tingling sensation in their breasts at some point in their life. Could you give me a few more details so that we could arrive at a probable cause. 1. What is the duration of the symptom? 2. Are you on any hormone replacement therapy? 3. Have you undergone any breast surgery? As far as your query on depot cortisone is concerned, it is not a known side effect of cortisone. Wearing a tight bra could cause tingling sensation as a tight garment can compress the breast tissue and cause fluid accumulation. Wearing a sports bra with good support will be better. Please get back to me with your replies. Regards, Dr. Johny Chacko
Follow-up: What causes tingling of nipples inspite of using depo cortisone shots? 9 minutes later
Many thanks for your quick reply. No, I have not had any breast surgery, and I am small 108 pounds - 5' tall. The duration of the symptom is short maybe 10 seconds, but the symptom returns randomly. I am not on hormone replacement therapy, just thyroxin n (spelling might be incorrect - thyroid medication 25 mg daily). Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tingling in nipples Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your reply. The possibilities we can keep in mind are - 1. Physiological - This may be just a transient symptom. You can give it time and see if it subsides. 2. Due to use of a tight Bra- As I mentioned earlier, wearing tight undergarment could cause compression of the breast tissue and fluid accumulation which could cause tingling sensation in the nipples. You can switch to a sports bra and see if it makes difference. I would also like you to keep in mind that tingling sensation in the breast has been described as an early symptom of breast cancer. This, however, will not be bilateral (both breasts). It will occur only on the affected side. But, considering your age, it is better to get a screening mammogram done to be on the safer side. Hope this addresses your concern. If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer. Regards, Dr. Johny Chacko