What causes tingling in hands after an accidental fall on face?

My husband had three drinks at dinner - which he almost never does. We walked home (across the street) and came upstairs. He was fine but we both knew he'd had one drink too many. He went outside to have his nightly cigarette, then came in and lost his balance while taking his boots off, and fell on his face. He was mortified and shocked and after a few minutes he was able to get up, walk around, do everything, with only a small cut on his forehead and broken glasses to show for it. The only problem now is that his fingers are tingling on both hands. He thinks it's from the trauma of landing heavily on his hands and we are both thinking his arms and shoulders might be very stiff and sore in the morning. I'm writing to ask about the tingling hands. Everything else seems to be completely fine except for the tingling. I/ this something we should be concerned about, and is there anything we can do to stop the tingling? I thought it might be from adrenaline: it really did shock him to fall. He's in excellent health. Thank you so much.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: In view of symptoms he needs evaluations. Detailed Answer: Hello, Since he had fall on face, it is very likely that he had direct hit on his forehead.Secondly since tingling in hands has continued in the morning, it worries me. Both these things worry me about possible head and brain injury. Even such minor falls particularly after drinks when person is unable to prevent direct hit by putting hands in between as a natural reaction , one can get brain injuries. Ideal step would be to get clinical evaluation done and if needed get a brain scan done. Doctor will also want to keep him under observation if his symptoms indicate that way. So I would suggest a primary clinical evaluations.Generally small bleeds or concussions/contusions are things to be ruled out. Though it may turn out precautionary but do see doctor for this. Adrenaline rush is unlikely to last till morning so this doesn't seem related to his shock. Hope this helps.Regards.