What causes tingling and pain on shoulder blade while smoking?

smoker for long time, 2 weeks ago I started to get a tingling by my right shoulder blade, now it has become painful when i smoke. seems like it has also moved to left side also. i have cut back on smoking but it is awful hard to quit. any advice besides quitting smoking.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, get examined for this! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this right shoulder pains. I do hope you soon get relieved of this to enable you enjoy a pain free life. Let me take this opportunity to congratulate you on taking a bold step to quit smoking.It is never an easy decision to make and talk less of following through. I will like to highlight here that you should do all in your powers never to bow to the temptation of returning to this habit which has far reaching consequences on health. Talk to your doctor about this. he would be able to help you and also direct you to the various facilities and opportunities present in the community to assist you in these very difficult moments. Beside quitting, I will recommend that you get this shoulder examined. Though this pain may be more related to a psychological aspect because nothing explains why smoking should exacerbate the pains if not for the mental knowledge of it. Examination would look for any potential causes of shoulder pain to make sure there is nothing we are missing. If nothing is found, which is what I highly suspect, pain relievers can be issued to help you get the symptoms controlled. Also, I will like to recommend physical therapy like massage, rage of movement exercise, etc to relax the joint and its muscles. In all, please get it examined. Pain medications and physical therapy would be helpful. Quitting smoking entirely is one of the best decisions would have made in recent years about your health. The benefits of quitting are huge. i hope this addresses your query fully. Feel free to request for more information or clarification if need be. I wish you well and thank you so much for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD.