What causes tingling and numbness in feet and hands?

tingling of feet and hands. hand gets numb when holding phone. hands and feet get very cold. seems to get better after rubbing for awhile
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be related to nerve or blood vessels disease Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms. I promise to do my level best to help identify the cause of these symptoms and help provide measures to address this problem. From the information you have provided, these are symptoms originate from the nerves. The problem could be linked to the nerves or the blood vessels or some other cause. Given the fact that you have had multiple vascular events, it could be caused by decreased blood flow to these structures. This will cause symptoms like tingling and numbness especially when you get to do any activity like holding the phone or even preparing meals. To address this, you would need to get examined and maybe get some tests done. These tests would specifically look at the patency of the blood vessels supplying your hands to see if this could be the possible cause. Also, depending on the results, you may need to do some more testing. Depending on the results, specific treatment options would be presented to help relief you of these symptoms. I hope this addresses your query and provides guidance on how to address this. I wish you well. Please, feel free to ask for clarifications or more information if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.