What causes tingling and needle sensation in hand and fingers?

Nov 2013

I have tingling and needle sensation in my right hand and fingers. It is uncomfortable. Sometimes I get painful spasms in my wrist. I am addicted to the internet. Also, I had 2total hip replacements, however I am extremely healthy. I am a 69 year old female who leads a very active lifestyle. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi Ms XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query. Based on your symptoms, the most likely diagnosis is carpal tunnel syndrome. In this condition, the median nerve is entrapped at the level of wrist. Common symptoms include tingling, pain and numbness of wrist, hand and fingers. Symptoms are often more severe at nights. Computer use may have aggravated your problem. The diagnosis can be confirmed by doing nerve conduction studies. Initial treatment includes medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin capsules. In some cases, where symptoms do not improve with medications, a median nerve decompression surgery at the level of wrist may be needed. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: