What causes tightness on the front of the neck?

I occasionally get tightness on the front of my neck on the left side. I am 58 years old, male, and have heart disease history in my family. I try to pay attention to what goes on with my health. I dont have pain or any trouble breathing when i have this condition. Sort of feels like muscle contraction...
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possible muscular-skeletal problem... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for sharing your concern with HCM. I have read your medical history and do not see anything worrisome. I am happy that you are doing regular exercise and schedule annual medical check-ups. The occasional tightness you feel on the front of your neck on the left side goes more to a muscle contraction as long as you are not reporting any other medical issues. I advise to : - apply warm clothing to the pain area - keep the neck muscles and joints exercised - do not fix the neck and head in one position only - apply analgesic cream locally - take oral pain killers If the pain will get persistent and intolerable, I suggest to consult with your physician and to run further tests including cardiac tests, thyroid tests/ultrasound, neck X-ray for further evaluation. Hope it was of help! Dr.Albana