What causes tightness in throat and tingling in fingers and toes when suffering from sore throat?

ENT Specialist
Question
About 5 weeks ago had a sore throat, went to Dr and was diagnosed with Strep and took medication for it. After 2 weeks still tightness in throat. Started getting tingling in my fingers and toes. About a week later stiffness in jaw, difficulty opening jaw wide, tingling in face. This week my legs mainly my thighs have been sore and my legs feel really heavy when i walk. Also my back has gotten sore as if I have difficulty standing up straight. Also I feel shortness of breath with minimal physical activity.I'm at my desk now feeling like I'm breathing hard. just sitting at my desk. I walked up the street today and could barely breath. I've been to Dr and had EKG, Chest X-Ray, Blood tests to rule out vitamin deficiencies and other common illnesses. Gone to ENT and they put a camera in my throat and didn't find anything. Suggested it could be related to heartburn but I've never had it before and I am not convinced of this being the answer. The past two days extremely weak and feels difficult to take a full breath. If I run even a block I feel extremely winded.
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Throat swab, Adenovirus, Chest X-ray, Rheumatic Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. It would help to get a throat swab done or repeated (if done before). 2. If you had a confirmed case of strep throat, it may be a recurrence due to developing a carrier state or being exposed to a person who is an asymptomatic carrier. A throat swab for culture can also reveal antibiotic resistance. 3. A co-existent viral infection may also lower your resistance or suppress your immune system. 4. Certain viral throat infections may also mimic a strep throat. These include Adenovirus, Epstein Barr Virus (Infectious Mononucleosis). These may be ruled out with specific antibody testing. 5. Get a chest and cardiac reference. Do you have any cough? It is also important to consider indoor admission and treatment at this point. 6. Rheumatic complications which may follow strep throat must be ruled out. I must emphasize that this may also be a common post viral weakness which may be considered if all the above tests are within normal limits. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: What causes tightness in throat and tingling in fingers and toes when suffering from sore throat? 9 minutes later
Does it seem like ENT Will be of any benefit in this situation? I've been to the PCP 3X and he doesn't seem to concerned. Would I need to see a neurologist for muscle symptoms?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. Yes, you will need to consult an ENT for the throat swab. 2. A General Medicine/ Neurologist or a Chest Physician in this order may be preferred for investigating this further and prescribing medication. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: What causes tightness in throat and tingling in fingers and toes when suffering from sore throat? 46 minutes later
Ok thanks, my ENT thought possible heartburn but now wants to do a swallow test. Although my throat is not as stiff, I have a feeling like food seems to be getting stuck in it when I eat. Does that sound necessary?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. The swallowing test can wait. The anti-reflux medication may be continued and reviewed in a couple of weeks. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: What causes tightness in throat and tingling in fingers and toes when suffering from sore throat? 46 hours later
Thanks, I was in the urgent care center because of the breathing difficulties again. They ran a battery of tests and everything looked okay including the EKG. Still this morning woke up feeling difficulties breathing and shortness of breath overall. I tried to run a block today and felt like i was nearly going to pass out. Someone else suggusted Guilliane Barre Syndrome I'm not sure if this is a possibility?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. One of the reasons that I had suggested indoor admission in point no. 5 of my initial answer was to investigate and rule out auto-immune conditions such as Guillian Barre Syndrome. 2. There is no cause for alarm though autoimmune conditions such as Guillian Barre syndrome are a posiibility, they are very rare and have many variants. AN onset after five weeks is rare. It takes a number of tests including a neurological examination, (NCS) Nerve Conduction Studies, EMG (ElectroMyoGraphy), Brain MRI, CSF (Cerebro Spinal Fluid) examination and specific antibody testing (as mentioned earlier) to rule out these rare conditions. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: What causes tightness in throat and tingling in fingers and toes when suffering from sore throat? 2 days later
Thanks, I was in urgent care and was referred to a pulmonologist due to the shortness of breath and feeling like I can't take a full breath. Does this sound like the best course of action at this point? I've also noticed that my blood pressure has been slightly elevated this past week I checked it this morning 152/125. Should I be concerned about this or could anxieties be causing this increase?

Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. Yes, this has been the best course of action, given the slow presentation of symptoms. 2. You chest physician may advise a Lung Function Tests (Pulmonary Function Tests). Was a pulse oxymetry used to check the oxygen saturation in the blood? 3. A broncholdilator or steroid inhaler may help if the LFTs (PFTs) are abnormal. 4. Your blood pressure is probably raised due to anxiety. This in turn may also cause the breathless feeling. To co-relate the two, the functioning of the lungs, heart and kidneys is routinely checked. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: What causes tightness in throat and tingling in fingers and toes when suffering from sore throat? 23 hours later
Do you think its urgent to take the swallow study as this started as a swallowing issue or should I hold off and go to pulmonologist first and go to PCP dr as well?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. You need to see the MDs, preferably with a neuro and chest specialty, besides your PCP. 2. The swallow study is not urgent and may be done soon after a week of trial with anti-reflux medication. I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them. Regards.