What causes tightness in muscles when suffering from arthritis in neck and lumbar region?

Hi there,i am a 70 year old reasonably fit woman,in 1986 I had a hysterectomy,right now I have arthritis in myneck thoracic and lumber regions.the muscles in my back are very tight and my ribs hurt and my chest is very tight,i excersize but it returns quite quickly.I generally feel unwell and sweat profusely at any effort.I walk several kms per day but it still doesn't loosen up the muscles.cheers XXXXXXX A.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to osteoporosis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The arthritis and tightness in the muscles that you are feeling could be related to osteoarthritis or a vitamin D3 deficiency. These are commonly encountered problems in women of your age group. The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and some life style modifications and physiotherapy. Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days. You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises under the guidance of your physiotherapist. You will also need to get enough calcium and vitamin D, eat a healthy diet, and exercise regularly. A large part of treating or reducing the effects of osteoporosis is getting enough calcium and vitamin D. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL