What causes tightness in lips and why does it look like burnt lips?

My upper lip suddenly looks and feels burnt. not in the sense of pain or swelling but in tightness. I have no knowledge of anything I did or ate or drank to cause the problem. My lower lip is unaffected and I have no other symptoms. It started about two weeks ago. My upper lip was completely contracted and dry. Then it got darker and I was soon able to rub off most of the darkened, charred skin. But two columns remained in the middle of the lip, looking like third degree burns without any associated pain. But the sensation of tightness remains through out my upper lip.
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Burnt upper lip Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic, I am thinking of a few possibilities. 1.Fixed drug eruption- An allergy to a medicine or food colorant where skin becomes red and itchy first, then black and dry following which the skin falls off. 2.Chapping of lips due to cold weather - But then it should affect both lips. 3.Contact dermatitis to a lip cosmetic you have used. You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can assess it better. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'. Take care,