What causes tightness in chest with palpitations?

My son is 18 good health just woke me up feeling some tightness in his chest and says heart is beating fast -hight 5.5 weight 145 aprox-
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Needs immediate evaluation... Detailed Answer: Hi, Symptoms of chest tightness and palpitation (fast heart beat) is concerning. Since they occurred immediately after a sleep, I am bit concerned. I would order for EKG in the first instant before considering further evaluation. May be this symptom is just related to anxiety / GERD or may be he might be suffering from an arrhythmia. I would suggest you take him to the ER for observation and EKG test. In the interim, give him tums and advise him to relax. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification. Regards