Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

What causes throbbing pain at the base of the skull?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10080 Questions
I have some neck pain and I want to know how to treat it.
It’s a throbbing pain on the base of my neck, towards the top part of my spine. It also hurts where my shoulder meets my neck.
It hurts when I turn my neck and feel it more.
I’ve been experiencing this pain for a few days now.
I tried to change my pillow or how I sleep, and I’ve tried to rest but it’s still very painful.
For reference, I’m a working mother and sit at a desk for log hours.
What is this and how can I get rid of it?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be posture related.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
It's not uncommon in people like yourself to have these neck pains. These could be posture related. Though self limiting, it need not be underestimated.

All you need to do is correct your posture habits, like appropriate neck position while working on computer, avoiding pillow while sleeping, or while making sudden movements.

I assure you this discomfort will go away unless you do something to aggravate it in your routine. You can even do neck isometric exercises, which you can learn from a physiotherapist near you.

Do not self medicate, or need not take prescribed medications at all unless absolutely necessary. Rest is the trick here, and specific aforesaid exercises are your only long term insurance. You may benefit from hot fomentation and frequent stretch breaks at work.
Avoid stretching of shoulders, lifting any heavy weights and add diets rich in calcium, vitamins especially vitamin B 12 and vitamin D to daily routine. More severe cases may need oral muscle relaxants for relief.
If it still fails to subside have it examined and investigated by your Orthopaedician soon.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor