What causes throbbing pain at the base of the skull?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have some neck pain and I want to know how to treat it.
It’s a throbbing pain on the base of my neck, towards the top part of my spine. It also hurts where my shoulder meets my neck.
It hurts when I turn my neck and feel it more.
I’ve been experiencing this pain for a few days now.
I tried to change my pillow or how I sleep, and I’ve tried to rest but it’s still very painful.
For reference, I’m a working mother and sit at a desk for log hours.
What is this and how can I get rid of it?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be posture related.

Detailed Answer:
It's not uncommon in people like yourself to have these neck pains. These could be posture related. Though self limiting, it need not be underestimated.

All you need to do is correct your posture habits, like appropriate neck position while working on computer, avoiding pillow while sleeping, or while making sudden movements.

I assure you this discomfort will go away unless you do something to aggravate it in your routine. You can even do neck isometric exercises, which you can learn from a physiotherapist near you.

Do not self medicate, or need not take prescribed medications at all unless absolutely necessary. Rest is the trick here, and specific aforesaid exercises are your only long term insurance. You may benefit from hot fomentation and frequent stretch breaks at work.
Avoid stretching of shoulders, lifting any heavy weights and add diets rich in calcium, vitamins especially vitamin B 12 and vitamin D to daily routine. More severe cases may need oral muscle relaxants for relief.
If it still fails to subside have it examined and investigated by your Orthopaedician soon.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal