What causes throat pain when suffering from bacterial tonsillitis?
User rating for this question
I have bacterial tonsillitis since last Friday at least and I was prescribed Calvepen 666mg oral penicillin for 10 days on Tuesday. It's now Saturday (5 days in) and my throat is still painful to swallow and my tonsils still have white gunk on them and are swollen. My lymph nodes on my neck are also still swollen. I even have slight pain in my ears. It's causing me great discomfort and is very painful. Should I go back to my GP or wait until I've taken all my pills?
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: You must get an examination again. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The antibiotic would usually be effective in 48-72 hours. 2. If your symptoms persist, it is better to get the throat re-examined. Resistant bacterial infections or viral infections may not respond to the antibiotics. 3. A throat swab would help at this stage. 4. Controlling the pain would require supportive medication such as anti-inflammatory medication, medicated gargles and so on. What supportive medication have you been prescribed? 5. An ear & a neck examination will be necessary. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Follow-up: What causes throat pain when suffering from bacterial tonsillitis? 34 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. Since your prescription was only for antibiotics, you did well by taking supportive medication. 2. An anti-allergic, a probiotic and an anti-reflux medication may also help. 3. It will be better to follow up with the instructions mentioned in the previous reply. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
People also viewed
- Milky sweat with a sweet odor
- What causes throat pain when suffering from bacterial tonsillitis
- What causes inflamed tonsils when suffering from gerd
- Acute bacterial tonsillitis causes
- Mid cycle bleeding due to ipill
- Little red bilisters on tongue
- Hoarseness vocal cord nodules biochemic cell salt
- Mild chest pain daily
- Intense pain in the throat inflamed tonsils cause
- Missed pill period wont stop
- Biofreeze with fever and flu
- Elevated bilirubin constipation hearing loss
- Swollen glands neck billirubin
- Middle toe swollen infection
- Recurrent bacterial tonsillitis causes