What causes throat pain due to thyroid gland problem?

Excellent
Question
hello, I had pain in my throat, when I visited the ENT dr he told me there is no infection, this is from my thyroid gland and he ordered ultrasound may I know what this about?
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rule ou thyroiditis Detailed Answer: Dear patient, thanks for the query. I suspect that he wants to rule out subacute thyroiditis, also known as DeQuervain's thyroiditis, which is a condition in which the thyroid gland, located in the lower third of the anterior neck, becomes inflammed and painful; it frequently follows a recent non-specific respiratory infection or seen in women after delivery. Treatment is mostly supportive with anti-inflammatories as it tends to be benign. The ultrasound will measure the size of the thyroid, which is enlarged in thyroiditis. Hope that helps, wish you both the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: What causes throat pain due to thyroid gland problem? 26 minutes later
Thanks for the answer the dr said that he noticed that my thyroid gland is below than it should be located, and he started saying about surgery. he made me worried plus I'm 30 yrs old single. I discovered that I have hypothyroid a year ago, and I'm following up with my endocrinologist. I'm taking 50mg ethyrox does this related to each other?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thyroididtis can indeed cause hypothyroidism Detailed Answer: Dear patient, thanks for the follow up question. Indeed, a previous episode of thyroiditis can be associated with hypothyroidism, such as Hashimoto's disease. The position of the thyroid gland is not as important, unless it is causing compression of nearby structures (like an intra-thoracic goiter); very likely, although not a surgeon, your endocrinologist would be the best to determine if there is any if at all need to contemplate surgery; by far, endocrinologists see and examine more thyroid glands than anyone else. Hope this helps, wish you the best