What causes thinning of hair with weak nails and dry skin?

Hi. I am XXXXXXX 56, female. Mostly vegan, except for some krill/fish oil supplements, and a little milk in a coffee or tea twice a day. I'm reluctant to take up eating meat as I enjoy the endless variety of plant foods. But have some health problems. Thinning hair, breaking nails, with ridges and some yellowing on right middle finger and left thumb. Skin tends to get very dry and sometimes has inflammation rashes and itching. My digestion is not that good, and bowel tends to be sluggish. I bleed easily especially on arms , and scratches can take a while to heal and leave large red blotches on the skin. Finally, my eyesight is degenerating slowly and vision getting blurry. Any suggestions you can make are appreciated. Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: check Vitamin B12 level Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query I am Dr. XXXXXXX and very pleased to be assisting you with your health questions today. People who are on vegan diet, are prone to develop some deficiency symptoms (mainly Vitamin B complex), please check vitamin B12 level. With your history, probably you do have, multiple nutrient deficiency. I advise you to take multivitamin supplement hope this will help if you have any further queries, please donot hesitate take care Dr XXXXXXX Hope this helps and provides answers to your question. If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to ask me again I wish you good health, take care --Dr. XXXXXXX