What causes thinning and ridges running from nail bed to the tip?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I have a history of anemia and have fingernails that are thinning and have ridges running from the nail bed to the tip. I also have a craving for ice. and have developed symptoms like ingrown hair on my scalp
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly provide blood test results&nail photos... Detailed Answer: Hi, Before running into conclusions, I'd kindly ask to forward to me: - your blood tests (to evaluate the severity of your anemia) - any photo of your fingernails and other scalp ingrown hair which can help me assist you further. The thinning and ridges running from nail bed to the tip is typical nail change indicating that nail is lacking blood and related nutrients. Therefore, it is a must to start an immediate and prolonged treatment for anemia according to the test results. With regards to craving for ice, it is also a sign of iron deficiency anemia unless other emotional or behavior problems are involved. Looking forward to gently have the requested data of yours! Thank you! Dr.Sonila