What causes thickening in the cortex of the right hip medially representing an osteochondroma?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Recent MRI showed a 3.7 CM area of thickening identified in the cortex of the right hip medially may represent an osteochondroma given the mixed signal. What would cause that?
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Exact cause of osteochondroma is not known. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Osteochondroma is a benign tumour of bone and it is mainly found in children aged 10-15 years. It is an abnormal growth that forms on the surface of a bone near the growth plate.Exact cause of osteochondroma is not known. MRI is the best investigation to show cartilage over tumour. It usually doesn't require treatment.It only need periodic X-rays. If there is compression,pain or thick cartilage then only surgical excision is required. Though rare,it can convert into cancerous ones. Thickening of cartilage over tumour,associated pain and size enlargement should be taken seriously as these may be the symptoms of cancerous changes. Biopsy can confirm cancerous change. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What causes thickening in the cortex of the right hip medially representing an osteochondroma? 6 hours later
Thank for getting back to me so quickly. I played golf in August and was okay. A few days later I experienced severe pain in my right hip when I transitioned from sitting to standing and vice versa. That lasted about 4 days. I started having discomfort in my right hip about ten days ago. The discomfort has been getting worse almost daily. I have also experienced minor pain in my left hip a few times. What would cause that? Thank you again, you've been a tremendous help. XXXXXXX DeCicco

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Pain may be due to osteochondroma or disc prolapse Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Pain may be due to osteochondroma.It can be discussed with orthopedician. If osteochondroma is causing pain then surgical excision can be considered. Other causes of pain like lumbar disc prolapse should also be ruled out.It can be confirmed by MRI of L/S Spine.Lumbar disc prolapse can cause similar pain in this region. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What causes thickening in the cortex of the right hip medially representing an osteochondroma? 12 hours later
Thank you for your help. I will rate you highly.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer: You are most welcome. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You are most welcome. Get well soon. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX