What causes thick mucus from my gum line?

Hi, For about a week now I have had thick, stringy mucous that feels like it is coming from my gum line. The peices are about 1/2 to 1 inch long, but when I put them in water they flatten out like traslucent ribbon. It seems to only happen in the morning. I had started taking Krill oil (in the morning) 2 weeks ago, but stopped today to see if that is causing it. Thanks for your help, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Possible gum infection... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX The thick, stingy mucus coming from your gum line might be related to infection of your gums and not related to krill oil use. You may stop it and look if the mucus will improve. To my opinion, a further evaluation of your gum line should be done by the dentist in order to determine the right treatment. Meanwhile, I suggest to keep a good oral hygiene and to : - do gargle with water and salt - use otc oral antiseptic spray or lozenges - do brush your teeth regularly - drink more water All the best! Dr.Klerida Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!