What causes terrible muscle spasms in my arm?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Why am I getting terrible muscle spams in my right foreman from the elbow up to the wrist into the palm of my hand that makes my index finger curl up like a snake with excruiating pain that I can't uncurl with my left hands help. It hurts so bad it makes me cry and scream.
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Activities that might help prevent muscle spasms- Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. There are numerous causes for Muscle spasms. Some of the common causes are - Dehydration - Muscle fatigue - Poor blood circulation in the forearm. - Deficiency of either Calcium or Vitamin - Diabetes - Neurological problems like a pinched nerve in neck - Hypokalemia (low serum potassium levels) - Drug induced like, chronic use of STATINS, DIURETICS, ANTIASHTMATICS etc Activities that might help prevent muscle spasms include: • Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration • Stretching your muscles for a few minutes • Massaging the cramped muscle with your hands or with ice • Taking a hot shower or warm bath • You can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain . • These cramps at times may be associated with POTASSIUM deficiency and so foods such as bananas, potatoes, prune juice and dried fruit are to be taken as dietary supplement. • Also, calcium fortified foods like seafood and fish, almonds, flaxseed, oats, prunes, sesame seeds, tofu and XXXXXXX can help to stave off muscle pain & spasm. • Avoid acidic foods and drinks like tomatoes and vinegar which blocks the body’s natural ability to absorb calcium leading to muscle aches & muscle fatigue. A detailed clinical examination and appropriate investigations are needed to establish the correct cause of your spasms. I suggest you to consult your doctor for further workup and management. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care