What causes tenderness in armpit?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Male 23. I have some tenderness underneath my left armpit. I have numbness/tingling sensation that extends down from my armpit to my hand. I notice it flare up after I have ate. I was tested for diabetes back when I was 17-18 and was told I didn't have it. It's been a chronic thing that has came-and-went for about a year now.
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to lymph node infection. Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case Tenderness in armpit can be due to lymph node infection. Most common reason for enlarged lymph node is usually infection, so we can start antibiotic regime and look for results. If there is no improvement then we will need to investigate in form of complete blood count, ESR, CRP. Another possibility of compression of nerve root in cervical spine [neck] .This can lead to tingling numbness in your arm and pain. So I will advise to do MRI cervical spine. For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. So I will advise you to consult a specialist and do further investigation. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.