What causes tenderness and pain in xipoid process while doing heavy exercises?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
i am a bodybuilder and i do several heavey exercises. one is a padded row, where i place my lower chest against a pad and i use that as counter resistance as i pull the weights to me. i had increase my weights and ever since that day, i have had pain at the xiphoid process. at first it was crazy bad, hurting with deep breaths and radiated up to the sternum, midway. now its better but i can still push at the xipoid process and feels tender, if i stretch my chest open or do my chest work out certain angles will aggrivate that area too. is this a normal thing to happen with weight lifting or should i be concerned? this has happened to me before but it was many years ago. it has been going on an easy 3 months now, better but not gone, and i still continue to do my chest work outs 2 times a week, minus that one exercises. how much longer do you think it will take to get better? i know not working out would help but should i be concerned that its been this long? over all very healthy, do cardio daily and great shape. no other health probs or pain, 42 yr old feamle. i really appreciate you time.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Muscular or ligamentous strain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Based on the description, I feel that you could have suffered muscular or ligamentous strain over lower chest and xiphoid process. These injuries will resolve spontaneously within 3 weeks (if they are of mild nature). But, as your injury is already of 3 months duration and it still hurts, there could be a bit significant injury inside. An MRI scan of the involved area is necessary to assess the exact extent of injury to the musculature inside. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care